If you are a blogger, you must have already heard of the term called Domain Authority. Lest you aren’t aware of it yet, here is a complete guide for you in which I will explain what is domain authority and how does it impact your blog. Before we go into details, let’s understand how domain authority can be a significant factor in your blog’s success:
Earlier, any website/blog was measured based on its page rank; however, as the time progressed, Google changed its algorithm to improve overall SEO practices. Now, blogs and websites are judged based on their domain authority and page authority rather than page rank. A blog can have very high rank, but poor DA or a good DA but not so high rank. All in all, the latter would be considered comparatively more trustworthy and reliable than the one which doesn’t have a good DA. Still confused? Let’s go into details.
What Is Domain Authority (DA)?
It’s a known fact that SEO or search engine optimization works as the backbone for any blog. To increase fair SEO practices, Moz (SaaS company) introduced the concept of domain authority for the first time. According to this concept, every website is judged on a scale of 1-100 where 100 denotes the best while 1 signifies the worst score. In short, websites with higher DA are considered more SEO optimized and rank higher on search engines.
The real trick here is to understand that DA should be regarded as a parameter or competitive metric through which you can compare your blog with that of your competitor’s, and direct your strategies accordingly.
How Domain Authority Is Determined?
Many bloggers ask this question as how the domain authority is defined. You can take it as a collective result of over 40 different parameters, such as backlinks, linking root domains, etc. You can also say that the more back-links or linking root domains your blog has, the higher will be its domain authority. Be mindful of the fact that the quality of back-links sending traffic juice to your blog will surely affect its ranking and domain authority in the long run.
How Can You Check Domain Authority?
There are various Domain Authority Checkers available, which you can use to check your blog’s DA. The best domain authority checker is Moz open site explorer, where you can enter your blog’s URL and check its DA score. Here’s the DA Score of Facebook-
When you check the DA score of any URL, Moz will also show you the list of inbound links that send traffic juice to that particular blog. It can help in determining if your blog is getting traffic juice from any bad link or not. Here’s a list of links sending traffic to Facebook-
Just like Domain Authority, there’s a term called Page Authority (PA), which measures a particular page’s authority similar to that of a domain. In the above example, you can see the PA score of Facebook and different links sending traffic juice to it.
How To Improve Your Blog’s Domain Authority?
Now when you have understood the concept of domain authority, you should divert your focus entirely towards improving DA of your blog. It can’t be done in one day, but if you follow the below-mentioned tips, you can gradually improve the DA score of your blog-
- Quality And Quantity of Backlinks: The more back-links your blog has, the higher will be its DA score. Considering this fact, don’t just blindly go for multiple back-links without checking their quality. Remember that if your blog is getting traffic juice from 10 different domains, eight of which carry bad DA score, the overall DA of your blog will not improve. To avoid such situation, try to maximize the number of good quality backlinks. If you are new to the blogging world, you can comment on other blogs in the same niche and attract some traffic juice. Alternatively, you can also request other experienced bloggers to let you write guest posts on their platforms and get backlinks in return. Although it’s easier said than done, you will gradually see the positive results in the form of increased traffic juice.
- The quality of Content: Focus on becoming an authoritative source in your niche by writing quality content. Don’t compromise quality with quantity. It’s fine even if you write three posts a week, just make sure that they are of supreme quality.
- Internal Linking: Getting back-links from other renowned blogs can be a challenging task in the early days; however, you can always give internal links to your blog posts without any hassle.
- Remove Bad Links: As your blog gets old, the number of bad backlinks attached to it increase. To improve your DA score, remove those bad links as soon as possible. You can use monitor backlinks service to keep an eye on any spam link that tries to connect to your blog. There’s another tool called Google Disavow that can help you get rid of bad links.
- Promotion On Different Social Media Platforms: Until you tell others that your blog exists, they won’t come to know. Social media marketing can improve your DA score over time. So, promote your blog on different platforms as and when possible.
If you are willing to play a long inning in the blogging world or consider it as a full-time career option, don’t turn a blind eye to DA. The tips mentioned above will help you improve the domain authority of your blog over time. In case you have any doubt, suggestion or opinion, feel free to comment below.